Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Goodwill has replaced yard saling for now

I've lost my momentum somewhat with this blog, hence the long break in posts, partly because I've been so busy at work and home, but also partly because my favorite blog Yard Sale Mommy is on hiatus. I must say that I miss her Monday morning link ups that offer a chance to show off my spoils and see everyone else's spoils from the weekend. I sure hope she comes back soon! In the meantime, I figured I should still keep up my momentum since I do have a few followers (thank you!) and it's fun to share this venture with the world since my husband just thinks I'm a little crazy when I bring home more "junk" (to him).

I must admit that I have taken the last couple of Saturdays off from yard saling. Both of these were because my family was up earlier than usual and I felt guilty for leaving them. Plus, the week before had been a fairly unsuccessful yard saling adventure which added up to a lot of driving for a whole lot of nothing. It was partyly my fault because I planned my route around a house that advertised vintage toys. When I got there, I came to find they had some neat things, but wanted eBay prices for them. I did end up getting 7 vintage Little Golden books and Wonder books, but totally paid more than I usually do for books ($2/book, ouch). I had seen closed auctions for these individual books at $5-$7 each so I'm still hopeful. I'm on the second go round at auction and if none of them sell this time, I will combine them as a lot.

Since I haven't been yard saling, I needed to get my fix another way so I've made several trips to Goodwill over the last few weeks. We had a birthday party in a different area of town and I stopped at a new-to-me Goodwill, but there were no toys to be found. I did pick up some I Can Read books and American Girl books and was pleasantly surprised to find that their books were priced cheaper than my local Goodwill. Unfortunately, it's not worth the gas money to reap the savings, so I'll have to continue to pay 99 cents for paperbacks and $1.99 for hardcovers at my local GW. It's not so bad since just yesterday I picked up a complete set of Diary of a Wimpy Kid hardcover books for $10. They should bring in $20-$25 hopefully. On this same trip, I got a Burberry plush collectible bear for 99 cents and a plush dog that looks like Toto for 99 cents (for my daughter since she's going to be Dorothy for Halloween this year). I've been picking up more plush recently since they're cheap at GW and seem to be in high demand for the most part.

For the most part, my daughter does pretty well when she comes with me to GW. She thinks it's the toy store because we usually park ourselves in the toy aisle, which is fine by me since I don't have to say no when she asks for something, although that usually means I come home with more than I should. Oh well, she likes it and I can always sell it when she tires of it. Which reminds me - during our last trip to GW, she asked me rather loudly "Are you going to sell this mommy?". All I could do was smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment